Das interessante Blatt, vol. 11, No 51, 22 December 1892, page 4

A women’s suffrage movement formed towards the end of the 19th century. In 1889 female taxpayers in Lower Austria  had their right to vote for the diets of the crownlands  withdrawn. This was followed by a debate on whether these women should also be denied the right to vote in municipal elections. Although this did not happen, it was the trigger for women to organise. Several teachers mobilised for their political rights – such as the right to vote. Auguste Fickert and Marie Schwarz set up a “Committee on issues of women’s suffrage“.

These liberal women filed several petitions to the parliament and made their voices heard this way. It was important to have good connections with deputies who advocated women’s suffrage and introduced the petitions of the women’s movement into the House of Deputies. Another way of reaching the public with their concerns was to publish women’s newspapers, articles and brochures. Within this context the Allgemeiner österreichischer Frauenverein was founded in 1893, among others.

In contrast, the Social Democratic Women’s Movement was always linked to its party organisation. Demonstrations and marches were its focus. By 1893 female Social Democrats were already demanding the right to vote at a meeting in the Penzinger Au. Although the demand for universal, equal, direct suffrage without gender discrimination had been included in the Austrian Social Democratic Workers’ Party manifesto in 1892, it often had little support from the male members.

In 1896 a general group of voters – called a curia – was introduced in which all economically independent male citizens were eligible to vote for the parliament. The demands by women in the liberal class and the proletariat for access to the parliamentary elections were ignored.

Alert
State Hall and Augustinian Reading Room

Due to filming, the State Hall will be closed from February 27 until March 12, 2024. 

The Augustinian Reading Room will be closed from February 27 until March 8, 2024. During this time, no books can be provided from the collection in the State Hall. As a substitute, the Reading Room of the Collection of Manuscripts and Old Prints (Josefsplatz 1 in the left wing of the building, Manuscripts Staircase 2nd floor) will be available during regular opening hours.
Thank you for your understanding.