All about using the Literary Archive
You are most welcome to use the Literary Archive at the Austrian National Library, consisting of material left to us in lifetime and posthumous bequests from authors, for your research.
Ordering and viewing an item
- The Austrian National Library » User card for the Austrian National Library also gives you access to the Literary Archive. Please observe its » User Regulations.
- Please let us know in advance when you are coming and what you would like to see; we will then prepare the materials for you in the reading room. Materials ordered by 15:00 on a working day will be available from 9:00 on the following day. Materials ordered after 3 p.m. will be available from 1 p.m. the following day or, during summer opening hours, from 9 a.m. the next working day but one. A maximum of 5 archive boxes of materials per order will be made available. Please use our » User Application.
- If you wish to publish the material you consulted, please apply for » Permission to publish.
- Please refer to our » leaflet for information on how to cite the materials used.
- Please understand that printed material from the reference library cannot be borrowed outside the library.
- For information on the holdings and research possibilities, please contact the staff of the Information Service in the Reading Room.
- If you want to make reproductions of legacy material or literature from the reference library, please submit a request for scans (» Terms and conditions).
- Scanning of archive material in the Reading Room is not permitted; photography is allowed only without flash and with permission from an authorised member of the archive staff.
Loans for exhibitions
- Are you planning an exhibition? Would you like to borrow a little gem or a highlight from our collection? Then please send your written borrowing request to the Archive Management. Terms and conditions and prices can be found in our » Lending Agreement.