The sustainable library
We are delighted to have been awarded the Austrian Ecolabel. It acknowledges our efforts to implement consistent sustainability management in all areas in the light of the current challenges of climate change and dwindling resources.
The Austrian National Library preserves a unique cultural heritage from many centuries and is at the same time a future-oriented information, education and research centre. In view of this bridging function between the rich heritage of the past and the demands of today’s information society, our priorities are always set with a view to their long-term impact. We see ourselves as a producer of values and a generator of impulses, and our aim is also to act as a role model through our efforts in the field of sustainability.
Much has already been achieved in the past with many measures, both small and large. We focus our attention primarily on the following areas:
- Users/visitors: We attach great importance to easy access to knowledge, whether physical or digital. This concerns the creation of barrier-free access to our premises as far as possible, as well as direct connections to public transport, the provision of bicycle parking spaces and the expansion of digital services and content.
- Staff: Promoting health management and a work-life balance is also important to us, as is reflected in our participation in the “berufundfamilie” audit, the "equalitA" award for the internal advancement of women and many other measures.
- Collections: The many digitisation measures mean that our collections can be used online, thus contributing to their conservation and long-term preservation. The in-house Institute for Conservation uses only environmentally friendly products in the conservation and restoration of the valuable objects.
- Resources: We use resource-saving technology and operate a consistent waste management system, for example by using environmentally friendly cleaning products, implementing electronic workflows and filing systems to reduce paper consumption, and recycling used IT equipment or furniture.
- Buildings: We ensure sustainable maintenance of all managed buildings by refurbishing windows, floors, doors, etc., by regular, professional maintenance and inspections of technical installations, and by efficient building management systems.
How you too can support us
- With your journey: Choose an environmentally friendly means of travel.
- When buying tickets: Buy your ticket online and help save paper.
- When disposing of waste: Help us by separating your waste.
- When using resources: Use the stairs instead of the lift and help save electricity and do something good for your health.
Do you have suggestions on how we can become even more sustainable? Please send us your ideas and feedback to email@example.com or by using the » Feedback form. We look forward to hearing from you.